Folklore would not be complete without its many traditional, and oftentimes herbal medications, remedies, and healing methods. In fact, different countries have methods and treatments that are unique. The healing power of herbs – whether culled from the people of yore or learned in a 21st century lab – has effects that cannot be denied.
Among the world’s earliest civilizations, food and medicine were inextricably linked, and many plants were eaten for their health-giving properties. For example, armies of slave workers who laboured to build the Egyptian pyramids survived on a meal which included a daily ration of garlic in order to ward off pestilence and fever.
Consider too, the dark age of Europe, into the medieval period, when herbs were painstakingly grown in monasteries. Each monastery had its own “Physics” garden, abounding in herbs that were used to treat the ailments of both the monks and the local folks who dwelled in the surrounding areas.
From indigenous local fruits and vegetables that are organically grown come combination of extracts for healing, stamina, and as body supplements. The mode of extraction follows a traditional method, like the fruit fermentation process, among others.
I. For treatment requiring the use of plants, take the following guides
1.Use only one plant medicine at a time.
2. Use only stainless or earthen cooking utensils (Aluminum reacts chemically with medicinal elements in plants.
3.Don’t cover cooking utensil when boiling (to release toxins).
4.Take decoction either hot or cold. Strain before taking it.
5. Wash thoroughly leaves, barks, flowers, roots.
6. Individual with allergic reactions to with some plants are not encouraged to use herbal medications.
II. Herbal medication for constipation
Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Have a regular time to sit down on the toilet bowl. Have a regular exercise. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits.
Papaya/Carica Papaya (ripe fruit). Eat one big slice every morning for breakfast.
Yellow Bell. Boil 5 leaves in 2 glasses of water for 10 minutes. Drink at least 2 glasses a day.
Malunggay leaves/Horse Radish tree. Eat one cup boiled leaves with meals.
Take this caution: Remember that healing wonders of herbs are not substitutes for the doctor’s prescription. Consult a doctor if necessary.
III. Check out samples of healing herbs
Healing Herb/Plant – Scientific Name
1. Sweet Basil – Ocimum basilicum L.
2. Garlic – Allium sativum Linn
3. Guava – Psidium guajava L.
4. Betel-nut Palm – Areca catechu L.
5. Betel Leaf Pepper – Piper beetle L.
6. Cocoa plant – Theobrama cacao L.
7. Black Plum, Java Plum – Syszygium jambulanum
8. China Rose, Hibiscus – Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Linn.
9. Ginger Lily – Hedychium coronarium
10. Carrots – Daucus carota Linn.
11. Horse Radish tree – Moringa oleifera Lam.
12. Papaya – Carica Papaya
Rose Flores Martinez